04 January 2010

a crystal mystery

when i wear earrings, i always wear the same ones - little pearl studs. well, almost always. but in the darkest days of winter, between the solstice and the new year, i have taken to wearing these crystal earrings. i love the sparkle, the way they glitter like stars in the frosty night sky. they seem in keeping with the seasonal themes of dark and light. besides, they look festive - way more festive than pearls.

this year, when i went to get them from their special box, i could find only one earring. i searched through the box several times, then looked in a few less likely jewelry spots, to no avail. i was missing an earring. so i reluctantly went back to wearing the pearls.

several days later, i awoke in the morning and, from my pillow, saw something on the chair rail that runs along the outside wall next the bed. without my glasses, it was a shapeless shadow - a spider, i thought, as i rose to fetch my glasses and a means of disposal. but clearer sight revealed that this was no creature - it was my missing earring. how it got there, to that remote section of the bedroom, i cannot explain.

i have been turning this event over and over in my mind for weeks now. i thought writing about it might help to see it in a clearer light. but it remains a mystery to me.

so i'm still wearing the earrings, even though the new year has now come and gone. i want to keep them with me, just for a little bit longer.

12 comments:

a district friend said...

A truly wonderful gift from the universe. So glad for you.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you pulled a sweater over your head and Pop! went the earring across the bedroom! I'm just glad you found it. We need all the sparkle we can find!
Nancy

chris said...

nope - couldn't have been the sweater scenario you described, nance. the last time i had those earrings on was december 2008 - a year ago!

susan t. landry said...

fairies used it as a flashlight, and forgot to put it back...

Anonymous said...

My guess is Little Girl has something to do with missing sparkles! Mary D'E B

Anonymous said...

I like the fairy flashlight idea , myself.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amybradley said...

I believe fully that we are as people naturally drawn to one gem or stone more than the other for a real reason, it's up to us to find out what that reason is though! Darn it anyway! Just maybe we will though.

Nellie Dee said...

I'd say that Someone is knocking on your heartstrings and saying, "See, I love you!" And, "yes, I'm for Real!"

I love your blog and photography.

Unknown said...

I found a long lost earring in a shoe at the bottom of my walk-in closet once. It also glimmered just enough to catch my eye while I picked out a morning outfit after months of searching. I'm still wearing them 3 years later :)

ck said...

Hmmmm...I'll go with the fairy explanation. In your delightful, magical world..I'm sure there are fairies!

Relax A Little Bit said...

I'm smiling. I too wear and rotate pearl or crystal studs year around. Creature of habit I am. I've owned numerous pair. There is a tiny box that I keep on my dresser--when I lose an earing, I place the kept one in there with hopes to find the other. Now if I could just find the matches to all my socks!