28 April 2011

disclosure

a young mother has been missing in our state for a few days now. they found her toddler, alone but safe in a car but they could not locate the mother - until yesterday, when they found her, dead. i didn't know her. she didn't live here. i have no personal ties to this. yet this woman, her family, and her child have been on my mind and in my prayers for days. and now, with this outcome, i just feel so sad.

i know bloggers who curtail their normal daily commentary in light of world tragedy like hurricane katrina, the earthquake in haiti, the tsunami in japan, the ordeal of the chilean miners. i admire their stance. events like this shock and stun me, shake me to the core, and make me feel so despondent and helpless. yet i can find no suitable words to write to express the grief and heartache i feel for the people involved, especially the children. so i react to the horrific news by looking even harder for the beautiful or interesting things around me, to present in the blog as respite from the tragedy, if only for myself and not just for you, all the while keenly aware of how very blessed i am to have the life i have.

this post rolls around in my head every time there is sad news featured in the media. i hope if such news comes again, you'll look at my flowers and clouds and stars and understand how truly devastated i really feel. 

7 comments:

Jenny said...

I have been listening to the news, too, and feel your sadness and grief. Such a tragedy for everyone. xo Jenny

~she~ said...

I admire your willingness to share your own personal pain related to this event. A couple summers ago, a similar thing happened near where I live. The boyfriend ended up being the one who killed his pregnant girlfriend and left their son alone in the home. The entire community was in a state of funk during that time. I know how greatly it can affect you.

Kay said...

I know that tragedy is life but it doesn't make it any easier to understand. I think that is why I suspended the weariness of days of terrible news to watch the royal wedding..something hopeful and cheerful to see.

chris said...

i too watched the wedding. wonderful diversion!!

Star said...

Thank you for this post. Sharing the beautiful to heal and uplift.

Linda said...

When I heard the original news report about the mom going missing, my first instinct was that she had abandoned the baby and just left.

I heard nothing more till I read your post--the truth is so terribly sad. I wish I had been right...

Unknown said...

Thanks be to God for atlest a baby has been recovered. May God grant eternal rest to the soul of the deceased.