19 January 2011

view from the chair


tomorrow, i have to go back to the dentist. i would rather clean ovens, eat lint, or go without internet for a month, than go to the dentist.  in truth, i'm a total wimp when dealing with matters of the mouth. what makes these visits bearable, though, is not the nitrous oxide, not the novocaine, not the ipod with the earbuds - it's the maps. there are floor to ceiling maps in each of the treatment rooms, filling the entire wall in front of the chair. this map of the world is my favorite one. i'm always so excited to be put in this room. reading the names of far-off places, studying the borders between countries, visually tracing the routes of rivers from the mountains to the sea and dreaming dreams of distant lands all bring a sense of calm and wonder that help set the tone for the visits. i'm content and in control when my dentist appears. then i insert the earbuds, the nitrous oxide kicks in - and i'm good.

12 comments:

Jenny said...

What a wonderful idea, maps. My grandfather was a dentist and "tortured" me I thought every time I went to visit my grandparents. I can't go now without nitric oxide, either. I share your pain. xo jenny

Irene said...

Until I was well grown up, I thought of the dentist as a bully. Then I got a really kind and considerate dentist in the States. My fear disappeared. He had a floor to ceiling window that gave a view of a beautiful garden that I very much enjoyed.

Kisma said...

That is pretty cool! I have yet to meet anyone that likes going to the dentist.

Tabor said...

I love maps. This is a great idea.

Unknown said...

Its a terrible experience to bear the pain in promise for beauty;I was talked into pulling my tooth out-ouch it hurt like hell even with the pain killers!!!

Its nice of you to share this :)

susan t. landry said...

the only dentist i have ever truly loved, well, that's a slight hyperbole, was the guy in NYC who had TVs in front of the chair and let me watch Soul Train on saturday mornings.
the rest have all been variations on the amusement motif known as "waterboarding...."

chris said...

this dentist really is a good one. upbeat. painless. careful. the room i was in had a map of the northeast USA, one i'd never seen before. initially, i was disappointed as it was a physical map and didn't seem too special. but when i commented on the size of the allegheny mountain region in upstate NY, he launched into tales of living there and the difference between that area and the catskills. so it was good!

Betsy said...

I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading your blog--thanks!
I've given you the "Stylish Blogger Award" on my site, if you want it. If not, feel free to ignore this. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I am that way too,(not with the dentist, but with the map)they give me a sense of awe for ancestors or relatives i never met, who lived in these far away places...

Akie A. said...

I'm not sure about going without internet for a month. That might be a bit too much.

VIto said...

I hate the dentist as well. I guess the maps can make you start day dreaming of where you would like to go or not go.

Unknown said...

Wow. I am going to tell my dentist.
I thought she was good with the wonderful windows with sky and trees and birds. Maps beats even birds!