07 January 2011

little christmas

growing up, my mother always recognized "little christmas" on january 6th, the day commemorating the arrival of the wise men at the stable in bethlehem. she always told us that the christmas season was the twelve days between the traditional christmas and little christmas. i don't recall her leaving our decorations up for all that time but this mindset of hers makes it easier for me to leave up mine. tonight, they came down, to be packed away for another year.

6 comments:

Irene said...

Good luck taking all of it down and putting it away. Will you regret it?

middle child said...

Smart woman, that mother of your's. And a good daughter to listen.

Linda said...

'Little Christmas' makes for good traditions! Hoping you had a good Christmas Season....

Anonymous said...

the only thing that I leave up now until Little Christmas is my manger, that she bought me.. seems kind if fitting! By the way, I love the new picture! (did I spell manger right? it doesn't look right??)

~she~ said...

I've never heard the term Little Christmas before. Interesting.

Tabor said...

Several bloggers had reminded me of this which I had forgotten. Lovely way to keep Christmas going