25 January 2011

deep freeze

these days it's been almost unbearably cold. the sort of cold that sends you scampering barefoot across the tile floor to the hot shower to warm up. a cold that finds you roasting a turkey mainly to make the kitchen cozy. a many-cups-of-tea kind of cold that forces you to pillows and quilts and comforters before you're even tired enough to sleep. a cold that makes you resign yourself to the fact that the heat must be turned way up on to thaw your toes, even as the woodstove behind you warms your back.

10 comments:

Jenner said...

I feel your pain, it's been twenty below here for three days straight.

middle child said...

Yes. Yes. Brrr, cold. I too am baking or roasting something to keep the house warm. Unfortunately, I will hate summer heat even more!

Linda said...

And we think it is cold in Texas!! Maybe not so much!

Irene said...

It's not that cold here in the Netherlands. We are just above freezing during the day. No snow or ice. I'm glad.Roasting a turkey sounds good, though.

Tabor said...

The kind of cold that makes you wish you had been outside at last once in the last 6 days?

chris said...

no, Tabor, the kind of cold that makes me wish i has NOT been outside! :-)

the girl said...

It's appropriate that you chose a picture of that particular faucet for this post about cold!! That really has to be the coldest water in the history of the world.

Natalie said...

Yes, I dread to think what my heating bill will look like at the end of the season :/ Cardigans and blankets just haven't been enough!

I'm definitely ready for spring and summer to make an appearance.

R. J. said...

This is serious cabin fever time in PA. I've resorted to fleece workout suits and thermal underwear for indoors. My thermostat says 70, but it doesn't feel that warm. Soup and tea are helping.

Nancy Tripp said...

Was the water "dripping" from that faucet FROZEN? Hope not!

We are wood-stoving it and polartec jammy-ing it, and putting the quilt over my head while sleeping! What joy to walk the older dog every night at 11:00. That's love!