25 November 2009

good design/bad design

look at that baking powder container. round, so spoons fit in, with a piece of metal so you can level your half teaspoonfuls, even a plastic disc lid so it shuts up tight when not in use. and then there's the baking soda. cardboard box. perforated lid that never opens well and certainly does not shut. and if you try to use the inside section of the lid as a leveler, the surface of the teaspoon never comes out even. i wonder why the baking soda people don't come up with a container that at least rivals that of its counterpart?

5 comments:

mary said...

I have a picture in my mind that would solve the problem, especially for the occasional baker, like me! I should find a way to sell the concept to someone and make a bundle - Call Calumet!

chris said...

i'm thinking about dumping my baking soda into an old baking powder can - i usually get a new can every holiday season and throw out the old one. this year i could just toss the contents, not the can!

Meg said...

Thank you for putting to words what I have recently discovered. I never used to cook much, let alone bake, so this had not been an issue for me. I've decided to cut all processed foods and make all of my meals myself, and so I have discovered this annoyance. Ugh. Why oh why do the baking soda gods frown on such a convenient package?

chris said...

i don't understand why the baking soda gods don't see how bad their design is!! i mean, how can everybody involved in production not notice??? it's good to know that there are two, nay - three of us that see the need for new packaging. must run - i have just glanced at your blog and now i'm starving! off to make dinner! thank you for the comment!
~chris

Meg said...

Chris, thank you for stopping in to my food blog. I am having a great time learning to cook! And, I have to say, I'm a fast learner. Maybe one day, though, I'll get the gumption to design a new baking soda package!