29 January 2009

dress boots

a solemn event on campus dictates professional dress, so i purchase a cheap pair of boots - with heels. my first heels since a foot surgery many years ago after which the podiatrist recommended running shoes only (!) or at the very least flat shoes. but in these boots i click when i walk, i am much taller, and i even feel pretty stylish. i start to remember why i like heels so much. but soon enough my bunions start to scream, my instep aches, and shooting pains course up my foot. i rush to remove the offending footwear. and finally i find blessed relief in my big old clunky sensible shoes. you know, the flat ones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeh why do they have to make them soo pointed!

chris said...

pointy is not the issue for me. i don't think my toes would even squeeze into anything pointy. i think my problem is the added height. all two and a half inches. perhaps if i'd worn heels more as a young adult - to church and proms and weddings - i'd have built up the muscles or stamina or whatever it is i need to get away with wearing them now. but i didn't. even then, i wore flats. those few time i did wear heels like everyone else, i'd fall off 'em.

Anonymous said...

perhaps it's the cheap part? just looking at those boots made my feet hurt. :-)

chris said...

ha! you could be right! but i what if i buy an expensive pair and the same thing happens???