12 July 2011

july 12 of 12: how to beat the heat

i love summer. lazy warm days, starry cool nights, refreshing air, light clothes, color everywhere i look. but it's days like today when summer is tough to take. it's hot, and for the third consecutive day. i can't sleep. i can't work. all i can do is think about how hot it is. today, i spring into action to try to beat the humidity. this month's 12 of 12 shows my attempts!
-----------

fans, strategically placed everywhere. they were on all night, blowing cooler air into the rooms. when i wake up too early all clammy and sticky, i breathe in the morning air. and i can tell it's going to be hot again. 

it hasn't rained in days and the gardens and pots need daily watering. it's easier and better for the plants to do it in the morning before the sun gets too high. i make sure i'm barefoot when i water so i can drag my toes through the wet grass. 

a shower, the first of three i take today.  i keep the water tepid at best. nothing hot for me today - not even water.

minimal clothes. today's outfit - a t-shirt and the necessary undergarments. bare feet. i'm not going anywhere. i have shorts handy in case someone comes to the door. 




combs and barrettes and headbands. i let my hair air dry and it takes a good long time. i don't bother with curling or styling or spraying. there's no way my hair would do anything but frizz up in this humidity. may as well keep it as contained as i possibly can. besides, there will be more showers, remember?

quiet, stay-put work. no housework today, nothing strenuous. i set up in the living room on the couch, directly in front of the fan. the speed of the fan increases as the morning goes on.



lots of water. i love my britta water filter, especially when it's warm. i empty its chilled contents into another container in the morning and refill it. by midday, the water's cold again. some cracked ice, a little crystal lite, and i'm good for the heat of the afternoon. 


hand-washed laundry. just a few items. hey, it's an opportunity to play in water! with bubbles!








another fan, the old fashioned, non-electric kind. the day wears on and the sun comes in the windows. it's hot in the house, hotter still outside. i work for a bit, then sit back and fan myself for a bit. i think i doze off for a bit, too. 

more water. my mother taught me this and i do it all the time. i run cold water over the insides of my wrists. it's instantly cooling. (as an aside, doesn't that stream of water from the faucet look just like an icicle?? i don't know why that surprises me so much, but it does.)

body sprays, cold from the refrigerator. there they are, right next to the mayonaise. a spritz in the middle of the day takes away the sticky feeling and leaves a lingering floral scent. i'll spritz my pillow as well, later before i go to sleep.

and tonight, ice cream. on a hot july day like this one, nothing beats the heat like its creamy, cold goodness.

but note - i did not go out for it. it's not exotic chocolate chip or fruity black raspberry. it's vanilla from the freezer. because i stayed home. it was just too hot to do anything else.

-----------

11 comments:

Jenny said...

Looks like you have it all under control. I panic in Holland when it gets hot because there is not an air conditioner within 200 miles, maybe Amsterdam.

Gail Underwood Parker said...

Ahhhh, I can relate... I think we must live somewhat neear each other as your weather often matches mine. I did every one of these today except the t-shirt one.... I have 16 and 19 year old boys! :-)
I am so jealous that boys get to go topless and bare chested in hot weather. It somehow looks soooo much cooler than my sweaty undergarments and bouncing girls!
Gail
www.upbeatsanddownbeats.blogspot.com

chris said...

Jenny Schouten Short, another hot weather tactic i use is to go to the movies - to see a show but also to be air conditioned for a few hours!

Gail Underwood Parker, i think we do live near each other. i too have always envied men that they can run around shirtless in hot weather. i don't like to see it in public, though.

Lynne said...

Send some my way - I have been freezing all day. I am typing this wearing fingerless gloves,a singlet, a long sleeve tee-shirt, a tracksuit, woollen socks and sheepskin boots. I have an electric heater on! I'm frrrreeeeeeeeezing!

chris said...

Lynne, i thought of you several times as i worked on this post and wondered what you'd think of the sweltering conditions here. i hope you find some warmth soon!

Janie B said...

Ahhh...summer living. I do believe you have it all under control.

S said...

Have to love New England weather. Every summer people beg for winter. And every winter people beg for summer. I just laugh it off and wait for the perfect rainstorm so I can go out and dance.

chris said...

S. Love, i was hoping the perfect rainstorm would be my 12th photo. it's the best way to cool down! but i waited and waited but it never came. :-(

Nancy Tripp said...

LOVE the cold body spray idea. I immediately put some of mine in the fridge....any chance to stick my head in the cold box will do.

Stay cool!

S said...

Well I'm not sure where in New England you are, but here where I am we finally got a nice storm. Much cooler out now. :]

Star said...

Got the same high heat-high humidity summertime problems, here. Guess what? During the winter, I had ceiling fans installed. Had to change the lamps, anyway, and I'd heard so much about them. "How could they be so different than plain ol' fans?," I asked myself, "oh well, gotta change them anyway, might as well." Boy, howdy, is there a difference! It probably has to do with better circulation of the rising hot air, but it feels a lot cooler than it did with just regular fans, I'm tellin' ya'! Yeah, for ceiling fans!