04 September 2010

season's change

labor day traditionally marks the end of summer here. as much as i look forward to autumn's blaze of color and the chill and coziness of fall, i am sorry to see this summer end. there have been so many memorable moments with friends and family, so many instances of profound peace and stillness, that it's bittersweet to let it all go and move on.

one of those midsummer memories is depicted here...a twilight shot of candles glowing in a beach house window, taken under emerging stars while the muffled laughter of my family inside mingles with the sound of the waves on the beach. i hold that quiet moment in my mind and in my heart - until summer returns again.

10 comments:

Seraffyn said...

Very nice. I adore moments like these. So simple, yet so memorable and important. The times when we are present.

Jenny said...

I agree. I have downloaded my blog to Blurb.com and am making a book of my summer and spring months. I have too many good memories to not want to lose.

Irene said...

What a wonderful memory. I'm so glad that you treasure it. Those are special moments. It's good to have a photograph of it.

Gail said...

A joy to read...family is what its all about.

Great photo.

Kisma said...

I love fall and I look forward to the leaves changing and getting some time with the camera to document it.

What great memories!!!

Janie B said...

Well said. I'll miss it, too.

andigirl said...

Ah, yes, that's it. How you bring us into the present moment with this precious blog. Today's entry is poignant. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your writing touches my heart.

chris said...

andigirl: you are too kind. thank you. i'm so glad you like my writing.

Nellie Dee said...

What a lovely expression of the similar thoughts I have every fall. I was so elated to be able to spend this day in my porch reading and studying, knowing it may very well be the last day I am able to enjoy until next spring.
We have been so blessed. If only we could bottle up those precious moments.

BiPolar Jane said...

I just love this post.