19 March 2011

perigee

the moon tonight, the much touted perigee "super moon". perigee in that it's as close in its orbit to earth as it can be, "super" because this happens at its moment of fullness. it was not the spectacle that i had hoped for but then i don't know how it coud have lived up to my expectation after reading so much about it. or maybe i was just in the wrong spot. super or not, it's always good to stand out in the cold after dark, scanning the horizon for the first sign of orange light, then watching in amazement as the moon gradually appears and ascends into the sky before your very eyes. 

11 comments:

Nancy Grossi ~ Churned In Cali ~ The Wife of a Dairyman said...

Wish I had a good viewing of it, but it's storming here in northern CA! Thanks for sharing your photo:)

Linda said...

I just came in from looking at the moon here in Texas! Beautiful....

Kay said...

raining and snowing here..sigh..maybe I can get a bit of the look tomorrow..I remember the last one though!!

Gail said...

It was amazing here...almost like day.

Irene said...

I had an amazingly calm night considering it was such a super full moon. I'm not nearly the lunatic I thought I was :o)

patti said...

great picture!

Star said...

It's a great photograph, made all the more dramatic by the clouds. Thanks!

Natalie said...

I didn't know about the supermoon until I looked out of the window last night and said "Wow the moon looks huge tonight!" and was then informed about it :)

Definitely seemed like a super moon here! I was glad that we didn't have the normal cloud and rain that we always seem to get lol!

Anonymous said...

It has been happening for two days now, when i wake up at 5:30 in the morning, manila time. it's beautiful, much like your moon too! aw, we have the same moon. I like that.

~she~ said...

It was so gorgous here at my house and nearly took my breath away! I didn't have a strong enough lens to get a good picture of it. It looked like a marble in my photo. It was awesome though!

Anonymous said...

It looks 'super' to me. The eye of the beholder?