22 July 2008

let's play jeopardy!

always, when you're with my mother, you watch jeopardy. since its inception in the 70s, through the many set changes and fewer host changes, my mother has persisted in playing along with the game show, calling out the questions ("what was byzantium?") as the answers (istanbul was once constantinople & before that, this city founded by the greeks) flipped over onto the jeopardy board. in her younger days, she responded with lightning speed, regardless of category. and her answers were always correct. the year that jeopardy came to boston recruiting contestants, we urged my mother to try out, but she woudn't. she would have been amazing. she could have been champion. she might have become rich. in those early days of jeopardy, the game was a family affair, with all activities ceasing and anyone who was home at the time coming downstairs to join my mother in the game. over the years, children moved out, the time of the show changed, and my mother's response time slowed, but she remains a constant viewer. even today, so many years later, i refrain from phoning her while the show is on, but watch at home and wait until the final jeopardy challenge has come to a close and the day's champion has been named. only then will i call and we compare responses. and she’s still right.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading
it, you happen to be a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and definitely will come back from now on.
I want to encourage one to continue your great work, have
a nice holiday weekend!
Also visit my web-site - jeopardy games