26 May 2013

back to spring

this is the last weekend in may, and a long one at that. but the holiday is taking a back seat to the weather. yesterday was cold, damp, and rainy - a wood stove day if ever i've seen one. last night the wind howled, tree branches came down, and we lost power for several hours overnight. to make matters worse, it snowed. SNOW! today dawned fresh and clean, that clear sky, good-smelling weather that comes after a storm. but it's so cold! i went out into the garden with a vest over my sweatshirt and winter gloves under my work ones. for dinner, there's soup. that kind of cold!

in an effort to get back a little of my "first weekend of summer" vibe, i took a long walk in the woods. i didn't bring my camera, so these are taken with my phone. but finding them was just what i needed to remind me that it really is spring!

4 comments:

My Maine Blog said...

Your photos are so beautiful Chris...I love the wildflowers so much more than annuals...something you can count on every Spring and you don't have to plant or weed them they just appear to delight us all after a long winter. I've had my portable heater on for the last week...I refuse to turn the furnace on...but had to go back wearing my fleece robe that I had already put away until next winter...dragged it out again...just gotta' keep warm. The sun is finally coming through the clouds here in Maine and we didn't see any snow like you. Any day now we'll be putting the fans on with the summer heat...yah right? I love New England cause you never know what tomorrow will bring. We're headed to the Botanical Gardens tomorrow...again...I just love spending the day there and packing a lunch. Lots of things to see and take photos of everything in bloom and do a lot of walking...lots of good outdoor exercise..yup..that's what I really need after this week of rain. Hope you are doing well and you can be sure the sun will come out tomorrow. :)

chris said...

thanks, Kathleen - I too love the wildflowers, especially looking for them to come back. I haven't planted many - the mayapple, pictured, the bloodroot from a few posts back, some white trillium. I much prefer to just happen upon them, growing wild. I am back to two quilts on the bed and have hauled out the turtlenecks again as an additional layer. like you, have been reluctant to turn on the heat - it's may, for cryin' out loud! so good to hear from you!

Paula's Postings said...

Brrrr and I thought our weather was cold, wet and windy, although we did have two days of sun at the weekend. That's probably our spring and summer rolled into one.

Tabor said...

Spring is there...your great photos show it!